Well, almost with no spices….this recipe does have some ginger in it.
I’ve been thinking about how to make this pie for a while now. My wife has seriously been suffering because she is nursing our son who has severe food allergies. Since she is nursing him, she must stick to his very restricted diet. If he (or mom) ever eats any of the wrong foods, he gets very red and itchy eczema.
So anyway, my sweet wife has been on this strict diet for over a year and her favorite pie is pumpkin pie. We were able to add pumpkin to their diet a few weeks ago with no problems. Thanksgiving was coming up, and I was racking my brain trying to figure out a way to make a hypoallergenic pumpkin pie with only the ingredients they can eat. I googled “No Spice Pumpkin Pie” with no success (obviously since pumpkin pie needs spices). I kept searching, and then realized they can have ginger! It is one of the supplements that has been prescribed to try to help our boy’s symptoms.
After more searching, I finally came across an Autoimmune Paleo Pumpkin Pie. This recipe looked promising, but it had a LOT of coconut in it which is one of our biggest allergies. However, this recipe used a combination of gelatin and arrowroot to make the pumpkin custard filling. We can use gelatin but not arrowroot. After a day or two more of thinking, I decided to try an experiment. This allergy-free pumpkin pie recipe is the result!
- 2 cups of pumpkin
- ¾ cup rice milk
- 2 T organic sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
- ½ t ground ginger
- 1 T rice flour
- 1 T powdered beef gelatin
- ⅛ cup boiling water
- Make one Hypoallergenic Rice Pie Crust and pre-bake it.
- Place all of the ingredients except the beef gelatin and boiling water into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix hot water and gelatin in a mug until dissolved.
- Add water/gelatin mixture to the filling in the sauce pan and whisk well.
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust and let sit until cool and firm.